PE-PUM-CAN PIE!!!!!!
First, I created a simple whole wheat crust (we are on a whole wheat jive at our house lately and have gone about a month without buying any white flour)
Next, I made a half recipe of pumpkin pie filling and cooked it in the crust for about 30 minutes (just until firm)
Finally, I carefully added a half recipe of pecan pie (with all the nuts) to the top and baked it until set
The result...
see for yourself!
on a side note: the whole wheat crust was really great. the whole wheat adds a nutty crunch that really went well with the caramelized top layer!!
It was fun trying out this month's pie challenge; if anyone else is interested, check it out here:

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
6 comments:
mmm, that was the tastiest pie I ever did eat! you can make me that anytime!!!
YUM! I wanna try!
Well way to go little chef! it looks so pie perfect and tasty!
Awesome idea! I love both kinds of pies, so it seems like they'd be super together! :)
That pie looks delicious! Caramelized pecans, sweet creamy pumpkin... mmm... and whole wheat to pretend it's health food :)
I love how you put the pecan pie on top- a lot of pecan pumpkin pies mix the two, but crunchy oven-toasted pecans are the best!
PLEASE make one for us when you come!!! It looks SO good, my mouth is watering. Two of my very favorite pies in one!
Interesting about your take on the whole wheat crust, also. You recall I told you grandpa had to resort to whole wheat crust-because that was all McKay bought – and that he was pretty unhappy that he did. I admit I was a little skeptical of how it would taste – but, I really liked it. I actually ate more crust than I usually do, because somehow in my mind it was more healthy than the non-nutritional white version. And not only that – it did taste kind of nutty and crunchy. Not bad at all (unlike what I AND Dad had assumed)!
Post a Comment